Tuesday, April 29, 2008

H~E~L~L~O I'm Back!...... well kinda....

I am finally finding time to sit and catch up on every-one's Blog . I have been busy here Getting Brad back to Health...( He made it back to work today ! yea!!!) although he was sound asleep in bed by 8pm. It will take him some time to get back into the swing of things... Willow and Belle found a comfy spot to take a afternoon rest on Whitney's comforter fresh out of the drier...... They love the warmth. Especially when it was cold and rainy today... 44* and a very cold rain.
I love to light candles on dreary rainy days so today I got to use the Tea light and Pumpkin tarts from Pam AKA 30 Something....... YUM smells so yummy! THANK YOU PAM!!!! I LoVe it!
Whitney has been helping put around the house a lot lately....Here she is washing up the dishes after Breakfast.......... She is going away to stay at a Hotel and shopping with her Grammy for a couple nights this week so she is earning some cash to spend when she goes away.Tori and one of Tori's friends are going too ( Their Grammy has been in Living in Florida all winter they are anxious to spend some time with her) The girls are on Spring Vacation this week from school...
Since Brad has been home recovering from Diabetes Complications we have really made a change in our eating habits..... I have learned so much about proper cooking for Diabetics...Good Sugar,Bad sugar, Good starch, Bad Starch....soooo much to learn. I also have help from a Dietitian. We have had some AMAZING dinners the past couple weeks it must be working since Brad has been home he has lost 22 lbs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
so far this is Brads favorite........ Spaghetti Squash. ( Goodbye Pasta! and bad Carbs!) he really likes this. actually the whole family enjoyed it even one of Tori's friends who was hesitant on trying it liked it)
it takes a while to prepare it but worth it....
~Bake in oven at 375* for 1 hour ( make sure to Peirce the squash a few times or it will explode!)
~after baking in oven, Boil for another 1 hour in a big kettle
~ Cut down center Lenghwise
~ scoop out the seeds
~ slide a fork down and sting into large bowl
and whala! you have Spaghetti!
and top with Spaghetti sauce...I added ground Chicken in ours just to add a little extra protein



we are also trying to stay away from Breads....so I cut a whole wheat pita into strips and used canola Butter and a little garlic and baked it in the oven for a bit for a side...rather than Garlic bread.As I prepared Dinner Whitney was jamming out on her Guitar Hero game on her X-Box.

15 comments:

Leah said...

I know a good diabetes dietitian if you ever need one! No really, if you guys need anything, I would be happy to help you!

Glad you are back--we missed you! Hope Brad gets back to 100% soon!

Goodboy Norman Featherstone said...

Hmm. I never thought of eating spaghetti squash like spaghetti. Good idea!

Nevis said...

Did Brad have diabetes before this? My fiance's dad is very ill from diabetes and Terry (that's my fiance) is very worried about it. According to most recent blood tests...he doesn't have it yet, but he is definatly borderline. This is definatly a scare for us, too. We really need to eat better, too. Please post up ideas for recipes! :) ****HUGS****

Wendy said...

I LOVE spaghetti squash! We haven't had it forever. I may have to put it on the menu this week:) Definitely post some more recipes!! SOOO very glad to hear that Brad is on the mend!!

Page said...

Welcome back!! I'm so glad that Brad is doing better! I follow the exchange diet recommended by the diabetes association whenever I'm "dieting" (like right now) and it's the best diet ever!! Is that the one you are using?? I love hearing about different recipes you use as I need tasty, healthy ideas. Take care!

Anonymous said...

I have never heard of using spaghetti squash as actual spaghetti! It looks delish, though. Yes, I agree, keep posting recipe ideas - my father is diabetic and I'd love to have some ideas for when they come over to dinner.

monkeyface said...

I missed you too Nerd!

That squash looks DEELISH! I will try it and let you know if it's a hit up here.

YAY Brad... 22lbs gone! I'm sure he will feel better and better as he gets healthier.

Pam said...

I'm so glad to hear that Brad is doing better. That's great about the new recipes and diabetic-style of cooking. I would love to see/hear more about some of your new dishes. I'm going to try the spaghetti squash myself.

Somer Love said...

Yum I am hungry now!!!!

Cute pic of Belle and Willow....

I am glad that Brad is doing better, you guys are still in my thoughts and prayers.

Xo

Magnolia Sun said...

I'm so glad Brad is doing well, and 22 lbs lost wow! I need to eat like he's eating. I'm going to try the squash too, thanks for the idea.

AM said...

I LOVE spaghetti squash. My mom used to make it for us. I havent had it in FOREVER. Good choice! Glad he is back at work!

Sandy said...

Yea...I'm so glad he is feeling better. sounds like some good food is being cooked up your way. That does look like spaghetti! It looks good. I hope you share more of the things you're cooking with us. I bet the girls are going to have a good time with their grandma this weekend.

Jemima Jones Beck said...

My Mom loves spagetti squash!
I am not so sure about it though...
Love,
Jemima Jones Beck

Mrs.D said...

I have always wondered if that type of squash was good - I might try that sometime.

So glad that your husband is feeling better now. I'm sure it's such a relief for you! Glad to have you back!!!

Erin Ward said...

that puppy picture is the cutest thing ever!