Is this normal????????
I swear she is clean! I just gave her a bath and what ever is making her skin look dirty is beyond me................
I am noticing her underbelly and her legs are getting rather dark in coloring almost dark Gray color. I wonder if it has something to do with all her skin allergies or if this is something that happens to their skin with age. She will be 2 this fall . Is there anyone out there who's pugs skin changed in color? it looks as if she has dirty skin. on her arm pit area there are creases of normal pigment ....strange. So if anyone out there has seen this or if they know if this is normal let me know. I am starting to be one of these hypochondriac Pug owners.

Willow's better side............. :o)

10 comments:
Lisa-I am glad you posted this. Kind of put me a bit at ease to see Willow's less-hairy side. Coco (as I noticed this week, while looking him over before he goes to the Groomers next week) that he has no hair under his arms at all. Looks just like Willow's does...Maybe even worse becuase Coco is a long haired dog so I can really tell the difference. He also have DARK DARK grey on the back of his hind legs. There is less hair there too. Coco is one (will be 1 and a half this June) so Willow and him are close in age. It may be they get older and this happens becuase I KNOW that he had hair there when we got him as a little puppy. Last time he was groomed (back in Nov.) he got shaved so that is when I really noticed the dark spots on his back legs. The groomer said he has less hair there, thats all. I brought it up to his vet to and he said some dogs have less hair, he wouldnt worry about it. So I dont! But it does make me wonder. I will take some pics and post them on my blog too so you can see after he is groomed you will really be able to tell. I swear though looking at Willows belly is like looking at Coco's (for the armpit area) . Sorry this got to be so long! Did it help a bit? ;)
I'm not sure if that's a problem. My Baxter's underside seems to get darker and lighter but I never paid much attention to it. I noticed that my Chichi's fur color has gotten darker over time but nothing that I've asked the doctor about. But if she's allergic to things and it's springtime, that may well be what's going on.
Hi Lisa! I geuss if you have any concerns you could always take her to the vet beacuase they know best :) but I always ask around first also because I tend to over exagerate. My experiences with Sadie are:
When I first got her, she actually had the dark gray/black underbelly. It changed colours to the now pinky that it is. However every now and then I notice it's darker in some areas then others. No cause for concerns.
Sadie was also diagnosed with Demodectic Mange at her spay back in February. From my experience with Sadie's mange and other dogs that I've seen with it...it has a distinct purple colour to it. Just a side note, young pups beat the mange much quicker then older dogs as their immune systems are building. Sadie beat her's in two treatments, but it's different for every pup. However, young pups are also more likely to get it for the same reason.
One side of Kritter's undercarriage is almost black. The vet says it's kind of like a callous a human gets from friction. Do your babies wrestle? That and laying out in the sun can do it.
P.S. Both mine had demodectic mange. It usually occurs during puppyhood, as it is passed from the mother through the milk. So, it's somewhat hereditary (or otherwise not contagious) and will result in bald patches which have a "mousey" or "yeasty" odor. The vet can do a skin scrape to check.
Lisa - I just checked under Meimei's armpits and underbelly and she is getting the same dark color. I asked my hubbie if he remembered it happening last year around this time and he said yes.
Maybe a seasonal thing - maybe it's from laying in the sun? Let us know everything is ok.
I just noticed that Oscar has the same graying, and Daisy even does a little, too. Maybe it is a seasonal thing? Let us know if you find anything out. Oscar's is pretty significant.
Thank you everyone for your thoughts on this......I just brought Willow to the Vet to get her Glands Expressed AGAIN and I mentioned her skin color...they said that this is normal and it is nothing to be concerned about! Phewwww!
Bam-Bam's underbelly is the same way. He's skin turned from pink to a dark color and it is its normal pigment in his arm pit creases he is also quite balled on his underbelly as well. I am thinking its a pug thing?
Daisy's belly is black now too! I am always scrubbing!
I have a 2+1/2 year old Pug named Milo. Literally over the course of a weekend he has changed color. The greyish blue(?) color is only his belly & under arms/legs. I attempted bathing him thinking it was from a previous day's rainy walk, but to no avail. The color wont budge! He's not itching his skin,nor is his behavior "mopey". If anyone has any ideas of what this is, what it is caused by, or any information (other than re-bathing him) Please email me- I'd like to know if this is cause for a vet visit. Thank you :O)
Post a Comment