Friday, December 15, 2006

Favorite Ornament

Leah did a post on her favorite Ornament so I thought I would share my favorite....... These are one of my favorites but not my Favorite favorite..... I just thought I would share these first.......
Okay...now for my favorite ornament and why ...... This ornament was made by my oldest daughter in Kindergarten 8 years ago.... She made it for my Husbands best friend who was very Ill with Cystic Fibrosis. She and Ken were very close.He always thought of her and sometimes would call and disguise his voice pretending he was BLUES CLUES. (Her favorite TV character at the time.) He would always leave her an Easter basket on our front porch each Easter Eve for a Surprise on Easter Morning....Send her a Christmas card with $ in it each year..... She decided that she wanted to make Ken an Ornament at School during her art class and wrap it and give it to him. The ornament had to stay at the school over night to dry so she was anxious to hurry to give it to him. The next day Ken ended up in the hospital due to complications to CF and Brad went to visit him and when he returned home he thought if it was best for T to wait until he came home. he thought all the tubes and his coloring would frighten her. She knew he was sick and she knew that he spent a lot of time in the hospital. She would ask him why he painted his nails blue..( she didn't realize it was a sing of a lack of oxygen) his nails were always a bluish coloring..
Ken came home she got to see him but her Ornament was still at school. She wanted to keep it as a secret and she didn't tell him about her gift she made for him.....
8 years ago yesterday My husband lost his best friend to CF. The news crushed us. T was at school when we got the call. I knew the day was coming but I never knew how to talk to T about it at her age. I wish I did..she came home with her ornament all wrapped up with a blue bow saying... To Uncle Kenny love your.. Knucklehead ( he always called her Knucklehead and Beaner) to this day we still call her Beaner. I had all I could do to tell her that her Kenny was in Heaven and she won't be able to give him his ornament. She was angry with her Art teacher for having her keep it at the school for so long otherwise she could of given it to him. To make it even harder when we returned home i got the mail out of our Mailbox and to my surprise as my stomach dropped and my heart skipped a beat...these was a card addressed to T from Kenny...she opened it and it said...Here is a Dollar to buy something that little girls like..I love you ,you little Knucklehead...he mailed it the day before he left us so we keep the card and the dollar in a special jar along with all the Pezz machines he bought her...She then thought about giving the ornament to his Mother.....Still undecided until when she asked to place it on our tree....so this Ornament means a lot to my family....This ornament is the very last ornament to be hung on the tree...and it is always on T's honors to do so...it is always up on the top near the star.


Here is the special ornament........... He was a fighter! he lived a long fun and adventurous 28 years

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is a very special ornament indeed, and an especially touching story.

Anonymous said...

What a sad story and so much for a little girl to handle, she did a very beautiful job on the ornament.

Leah said...

This is such a touching story...I am reading at work, and it's all I can do to keep from crying. Thank you for sharing this special story with us.

Kara (Turskey) Vaught said...

what a sweet story. Someday we'll have a cure for all these awful diseases

Sandy said...

Oh, Lisa and T, that is the sweetest story I've heard recently. That means so much to honor a friend all these years and one that you'll always remember and honor at Christmas time. I bet his mom would be so happy to hear that story.

Anonymous said...

That is a very, very special ornament! Thank you for telling it's story.

Anonymous said...

Oh lisa that was such a touching story :) thank you for sharing that with us all. I'm sure uncle kenny sees that ornament every year on the tree and knows he's thought of and loved :) thats what christmas is all about!!
jode
http://cutebloggingirl.blogspot.com

FlipFlop Mom said...

Oh how did I MISS this post??????? If you don't scrapbook but one thing in your life... this has GOT to be it!!! This is a beautiful story!!!